Are you experiencing back pain while at work? Sitting in an office chair for extended periods can certainly cause lower back pain. It can even worsen an existing back problem without proper attention. The primary reason behind this is that sitting, in general, increases stress in the shoulders, arms, and back, causing additional pressure on the spinal discs and muscles.
Back pain is more common in the workplace than in most settings. In fact, it can affect four in five employees over their career period. Fortunately, a few changes in your work routine can help keep you safe from chronic back pains. Metro Offices, the leading provider of office space for rent in Arlington, VA, offers some tips:
- Avoid Slouching – Proper posture is important, especially if you have to sit in front of your computer for at least seven hours a day. When working, be sure to align your head and neck right above your shoulders.
- Keep Your Mouse Close – The ideal position of your mouse is right next to your keyboard. Overreaching or twisting your shoulders when attempting to click it can increase the pressure on your back muscles.
- Pick the Right Chair – If there’s one thing you need to be particular with, it’s your office chair. Make sure to pick one that will allow your lower back to rest against a support. Slightly reclining your chair can also help prevent too much pressure on your muscles.
- Don’t Sit Cross-Legged – When you sit cross-legged, your spine will find it difficult to maintain its straight structure. In addition, your muscles around the pelvis will overstretch, causing not only back pain, but also potential varicose veins.
- Sit Within Reach – Avoid straining forward. Ideally, your torso should be about an arm’s length away from the monitor
For more tips and resources on creating a healthier office space in Arlington, VA, you can always turn to Metro Offices. We are the top provider of state-of-the-art workspaces around VA, MD, and WA. To learn more about our offerings, give us a call at (703) 871-5208 or complete our form. We look forward to hearing from you!